Any Linux folks out there, who could suggest why my Linux server suddenly
wants to emit a steady high-pitched tone -- not from the disk drive, as I
imagined earlier, but from the PC speaker.  This machine has no sound card
at all.  I can't see any reason for the sound, which starts at seemingly
random times.  Happened three times today and only shut up when I rebooted,
sadly.  The only thing I see in the logs that seem unusual are a bunch of
things from identd, like this:

Dec 10 15:45:20 www identd[4623]: request_thread: read(9, ..., 1023) failed:
Con
nection reset by peer

Looking into this, I don't see that it's a reason for the machine to get all
excited or anything.  And I also realized I probably don't even need identd
running unless I'm traveling.

Suggestions welcome...  and now the speaker is disconnected.

Nick

--
Nick Arnett
Phone/fax: (408) 904-7198