On Mon, 16 Dec 2002, Dan Minette wrote:

> My "daughter" Nelli and I had a long talk last night about world politics,
> Africa, Europe, the US, land mines, Iraq, etc.  Toward the end of it we
> discussed multi-generation African Americans.  She said that that she has
> been told repeatedly that she wasn't "black enough" because she takes hard
> classes, goes to model UN, etc., instead of "chilling."  She noted that
> first generation African Americans do much better than muli-generation
> African Americans.
>
> I've got a couple of questions about this:
>
> Is this a reasonable sample?
>
> Why?

(Reggie sorta beat me to it, but I'll post what I was writing anyway.)

I'm not sure what you mean by "sample," but the phenomena you describe
(accusations of being not-black-enough for failing to conform to certain
social expectations) isn't new.  The term "oreo" leaps to mind, sadly.
One doesn't have to be a first-generation African American to get hit with
this term, but such a person would be a prime candidate for not having
assimilated the stereotypical behaviors of the subculture to which she
appears to belong but really doesn't.

I wonder how much of the increased success of the first-generation
immigrant should be attributed to a lack of native minority-specific
burdens and/or hangups, and how much should be attributed to the
likelihood that the set of voluntary immigrants probably includes a higher
proportion of people with resources and/or focused purpose than the
native population as a whole.

Marvin Long
Austin, Texas
Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, Poindexter & Ashcroft, LLP (Formerly the USA)