Deborah Harrell wrote:

> --- The Fool <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > http://www.secweb.org/asset.asp?AssetID=236
>
> <yawns and quits reading after ~ 1/4 article>
>
> There are much better parodies and indictments out
> there.  A sci-fi short story from ~ 20 years ago (it
> was in a collection of stories related to religion,
> from the SF Book Club, IIRC) has the omnipotent one
> fertilizing a female on a planet on which species are
> cross-fertilizable, and the end result is a bunch of
> sports and monsters (IIRC).
>
> I think there was also a much more thoughtful story in
> the same collection, about a captive community of
> (genetically enhanced?) chimpanzees: after the death
> of a well-liked researcher, one of the chimps confuses
> the idea of Heaven with dead chimpanzees being
> resurrected as humans, and so concludes that killing
> chimps is a good and holy thing...

The second story mentioned is found in _Sacred Visions_, an anthology of
Catholic-related SF.  It's "The Pope of the Chimps" by Robert
Silverberg.  If you're interested in Catholicism in SF, _Sacred Visions_
is a nice anthology.  (If you're interested in Catholicism in fantasy
dressed up as SF, I'd recommend reading stuff by Christopher Stasheff,
but it's not as well-written as, say, _A Canticle for Leibowitz_ by
Walter M. Miller.)

        Julia

Not a Catholic, but could maybe play one on TV