> From: Jon Gabriel [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

> I now have this mental image of a freakishly huge brown
> recluse spider with
> fangs as long as your arm etc.  Just how large do they get?

Generally not that big.  Most of the ones we saw were usually about the size
of a quarter or so with legs fully extended.  A few smaller.  A few bigger.
I think the biggest one I ever saw was about 3 inches across.  That one came
inside after a huge rainstorm had flooded the lawn in front of our
apartment.  It came under the front door somehow and walked down the hallway
like he owned the place.  I thought for just a second about trying to catch
it before hammering him out of existence with a shoe.

The most distinctive thing about the recluse is the "violin" marking on
their back.  It really does look like one.  And once you see it, there's no
doubt about it.  As a friend said, "if you have any doubt that it's a
violin, it's not a recluse".  (I understand there are some spiders in the
recluse family in the southwest that don't have that marking on them...)

 - jmh