Erik Reuter wrote:

> > But that was before the bioethics movement largely abandoned the
> > sanctity of life ethic for an express or implicit utilitarianism
> > that views the value of human life through a distorting prism of
> > "quality." That was before most bioethicists came to believe that
> > health-care rationing should be imposed.

> I'd have no problem with him arguing about HOW to make the decisions
> about who gets what medical resources, but he seems to be arguing,
> against reality and common sense, that no decision needs to be made
> at all, that medical resources are infinite. How can someone be so
> disconnected from reality?

        By looking at it just from a selfish emotional viewpoint?
If one has a loved one in danger of death, one wants to do every-
thing possible to save them.  Ages ago, when "everything possible"
didn't include as much, this made sense.
        I'm sure a lot of people will just respond to the article
at an emotional level, and agree.  But it is irresponsible to
advance such an irrational argument.

                                        ---David