Iranian soccer stadium lifts ban on women
- - - - - - - - - - - -
By ALI AKBAR DAREINI
Jan. 10, 2003  |  TEHRAN, Iran (AP) --

In a taboo-breaking step in this conservative Islamic state, an Iranian soccer club has started allowing female soccer fans into its stadium to watch games.

Mahdi Dadras, manager of Tehran's Paykan club, said the decision was made because its fans don't use obscene chants and the presence of women improves his players' morale.

Iranian authorities have long banned women from soccer stadiums because most fans direct distasteful language at opposing teams.

On Thursday, half a dozen jubilant women were at Iran Khodro Stadium to watch a match between Paykan and Barq of Shiraz, from southern Iran.

Sahar Alvandi, a 17-year-old student, was overjoyed to be one of the first Iranian women to step into a soccer stadium.

"My dream came true today," Alvandi said. "I still can't believe I'm in a soccer stadium in the Islamic Republic where it has so far been the realm of only men in Iran."

In rare cases, Iranian authorities have allowed foreign women to attend soccer matches.

A few female journalists were allowed to watch a Paykan home match in recent weeks.

In Nov. 2001, a group of Irish women were allowed to attend the Iran and Ireland playoff match for a berth in the 2002 World Cup.

The Iranian Soccer Federation let them in the stadium, concluding that the Irish women "will not understand the bad language that most Iranian men use during the matches."