Yeah -- a *person*, not an institution!

Ashcroft seems to be arguing this illogic:  religious institutions do good,
therefore we should give them government money.  It doesn't make ideological
sense, either -- is this how we make government smaller?  By funding
different institutions?  That suggests that problems of big government are
solved by the government funding institutions that it doesn't operate.  And
why should we trust these other institutions with our tax dollars -- because
they're faith=based?  Does this guy have no clue that thousands of years of
history have shown that faith-based institutions can become bloated,
arrogant and corrupt, too?  Mixing the spiritual power of religion with the
worldly power of taxation has fairly consistently led that way.

The other ugly theme in those words is anti-intellectualism.  Is he saying
that some people just think too much?

So, let's see -- don't think to much and just pay your taxes to the
church-state.  Where is Martin Luther when we need him?

>From the heart of my fairly intellectual Christian faith, I believe it is
wise to choose this enemy.  And it's fairly creepy because it arrives
clothed in Christianity.

Nick