Thanks for posting this. :) Very enjoyable!
Jon
"Stuck on top of tower. Great view, but constant pelting sleet not good
for pointy hat. Am amusing self by spitting gum down on the Orcs."
From: The Very Secret Diary of Gandalf the Grey

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
On Behalf Of Deborah Harrell
Sent: Tuesday, January 28, 2003 5:53 PM
To: brinl
Subject: Fwd: Tolkien & Technology: A Commentary from Bill Hammack

This weekly 'engineering thoughts' topics range from
Velcro to Muzak; this week it was hobbits:

Tolkien & Technology : A commentary from Bill
Hammack's public radio program

J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings enchants because
it lets us escape into another world called "Middle
Earth."  Yet, odd as this fantasy world is, it carries
an important message for our world.

Tolkien placed at the center of his saga the question
of how technology fits into our lives.

The story appears to be about the Quest to destroy a
ring with incredible powers, but hidden not below the
surface is a clear message about technology.

Throughout the Lord of the Rings Tolkien often
characterizes evil as technology. For example, one of
the major villains, a Wizard called Saruman, lives in
a place Tolkien calls "Isengard." Tolkien, who was an
Oxford Professor of Anglo-Saxon, knew Isengard meant
"iron yard", what we might call an industrial park.
Inside that iron yard the evil Wizard Saruman spends
his days building mills, chopping down forest, and
blowing things up.  He creates a system of tunnels and
dams, and vents for poisonous gases and fires. Tolkien
writes that "wheels and engines and explosions always
delight" Saurman and his followers. The idea of
machines appears again when he describes the evil
Saruman as having "a mind of metal and wheels."

In contrast to this evil were the Hobbits. A simple,
small people who have an agrarian economy. Tolkien
once wrote to a friend "I am in fact a Hobbit (in all
but size). I like gardens, trees and unmechanized
farmlands; I smoke a pipe, and [I] like good plain
food (unrefrigerated) ....

Tolkien lived a life as opposed as possible to
technology. During his lifetime he rejected trains,
television and refrigerated food. He did own a car,
but sold it at the beginning of World War II. By that
time Tolkien perceived the damage cars and their new
roads were doing to the landscape. He came to think of
the internal combustion engine as the greatest evil
ever put upon this Earth.

His experiences with war colored his view of
technological change. He served in the trenches during
World War I and experienced technology as fighter
planes, tanks, bombings, and flame-throwers. "By
1918," he once said, "all but one of my close friends
were dead."

Small wonder he disliked the immense power behind
technology. In many ways the great theme of the Lord
of the Rings is that no one should have dominion over
the world. The Lord of the Rings is an anti-quest,
with its goal to destroy universal power forever.
Herein lies Tolkien's message to us, what make his
Lord of the Rings still ring true today. He refused to
let the material world draw the boundaries of life,
and though his small Hobbits he asserted the
individual's right and responsibility to shape the
decisions and structures that determine their life.

> >Copyright 2003 William S. Hammack Enterprises

Usually this column is very pro-tech, pointing out all
the small wonders of our Western culture (and it's a
lot of fun to learn about how some inventions came
about!).  I do think it's understandable that Tolkien,
who survived the trenches of WWI, was predominantly
anti-tech, but I like my refrigerator and CD player -
and then there are hospitals, washing machines and
computers...  and the movie of LotR.  :)

GSV Balance