In a message dated 1/28/2003 4:12:23 AM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

> This is just not true. There have been plenty of sf stories with
> interstellar travel and no FTL, even ones with vast amounts
> of such  travel.

Yes of course it is true that interesting sci fi can be written without FTL but it is
more difficult and less frequent. I love Deepness in the Sky but it does tweak the
issue by allowing individuals to live for very long periods of time. My point main
point is that we are talking about a future technologic advance that could allow this
to happen. In reality it probably won't. In reality we are probably essentially alone.

The problem with Darwin's Radio is that we know the scientific premises are wrong.
Would you accept a sci fi book that had as its basic premise the sun revolved around
the earth and the heavens were made of celestial spheres?