--- "John D. Giorgis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> If you want to read the last 3/4 of the article that
> discusses the room for
> improvement in Afghanistan, you'll have to buy the
> article from The Economsit. :)

I added a few links on that.

>http://www.economist.com/research/articlesBySubject/displayStory.cfm?subject
> id=796681&story_id=1524657
>
> So far, yes. Afghanistan is better off than it was a
> year ago. The country
> is at peace, by its own standards...

Is that the peace of warlords who are fighting for
control of the country outside of Kabul and a few
other cities?  I'm really not trying to be snide here,
but having to run a gauntlet of various armed factions
outside of the major cities is not in my definition of
a country at peace.

The article/report you cited in the 'Post-Iraq Plans'
thread states, "One purpose of a U.S. military
government in Iraq would be to avoid a repeat of the
instability that has occurred in Afghanistan with the
fall of the Taliban regime, officials said."

Regarding that: a 2/05/03 report/article:

"...UN workers have been the target of a string of
attacks in recent weeks.

In the past fortnight a demining team was attacked by
an armed gang in the western province of Farah, World
Food Programme employees were stopped by armed gunman
south of Kabul, a bomb exploded on the roof of an
empty UN office in the northern city of Mazar-i-Sharif
and a UN convoy was attacked in eastern Nangarhar
province.

"The security is not yet stable, we have episodes of
violence ranging from inter-factional fighting to
crime, terrorism and that is a concern," UN spokesman
Manoel de Almeida e Silva said Sunday.

Last week the UN's special envoy to Afghanistan
Lakhdar Brahimi told the UN Security Council that
support for the former ruling Taliban militia, ousted
in 2001 by an international military campaign, was
re-emerging.

"We continue to hear worrying reports that support for
the remnants of the Taliban may be growing in some
areas of Afghanistan," he said."

http://www.reliefweb.int/w/rwb.nsf/480fa8736b88bbc3c12564f6004c8ad5/4e142663f90b424ec1256cc400405544?OpenDocument
Many other articles are linked from this page
http://www.reliefweb.int/w/rwb.nsf/vLCE/Afghanistan?OpenDocument&StartKey=Afghanistan&Expandview

> ...The World Bank broadly applauds
> its [the loyajirga's] reconstruction strategy and
> efforts to stimulate the private sector.

Strategy and efforts are laudable, but need money and
power to back them.

> A new national currency, the afghani, has been
> successfully introduced.
> Several cities have a mobile phone system. Major
> infrastructure projects
> have started; some, such as the reconstruction of
> the Salang tunnel linking
> the north of the country with the south, will be
> completed in 2003.
>
> In public at least, Afghanistan has the support of
> neighbouring countries;
> none of them wants to dismember it. Iran and
> Pakistan, long at loggerheads
> over what sort of government Afghanistan should
> have, agreed to let Afghans
> decide. Pakistan has signed a deal with Turkmenistan
> and Afghanistan to
> build a $3.2 billion gas pipeline through
> Afghanistan. A recent donors'
> conference in Oslo pledged $1.2 billion in aid to
> Afghanistan for 2003;
> Norwegian diplomats hope the realised sum may be
> closer to $2 billion. Some
> 3m Afghan children are back in school, double the
> number the United Nations
> predicted. The remnants of al-Qaeda and the Taliban
> hiding in tribal areas
> along the Pakistani border have fewer friends than
> they did a year ago.
> They are scattered and on the run; shipments of
> weapons destined for them
> have been regularly intercepted...

See the Feb 5 '03 article I cited above.

A UN report agrees that the people are better off than
under the Taliban (duh!), but major problems - which
will require major effort to correct - abound:
http://wwww.reliefweb.int/w/rwb.nsf/9ca65951ee22658ec125663300408599/d178542fcabc4e36c1256c6f0054f9ab?OpenDocument

"Contrasted with the situation in Afghanistan less
than a year ago, the humanitarian situation has
improved immeasurably. Over 1.7 million refugees and
400,000 internally displaced have returned to their
communities of origin in 2002, attesting to their
belief in a future climate of stability and economic
opportunity. Reconstruction activities are underway in
many rural communities and cities throughout the
country. However, immense challenges remain. Despite a
good harvest in 2002, the effects of years of
conflict, drought, isolation and impoverishment still
affect millions of Afghans. Some 2.2 million Afghans
are highly vulnerable to the expected effects of the
harsh winter weather and are receiving emergency food
aid and support for shelter and warmth to combat the
cold. After 23 years of conflict, social service
infrastructure is fragile at best. Basic health
facilities and schools have been destroyed. Child and
maternal mortality rates are among the highest in the
world. Literacy rates, for men and women, boys and
girls, are among the world's lowest. Yet throughout
recent years, massive social mobilisation has brought
Afghanistan close to polio eradication, while at least
three million children returned to school in 2002,
emphasising the huge demand for learning by Afghans in
all walks of life. Finally, Afghanistan remains one of
the most heavily mined countries in the world.
Capacity for mine action increased markedly in 2002
but enormous efforts and investment in this sector
will be required for years to come."

One NGO (Save the Chilren) has outlined health needs
as they see them:
http://www.savethechildren.org/press/afghan_minister.shtml

"--70 percent of existing primary care clinics are
unable to provide even basic mother and child
services;
--90 percent of hospitals do not have the complete
equipment to perform C-sections;
--40 percent of all basic health facilities do not
have female staff
--more than 25 percent of children die before their
fifth birthday;
--40 percent of child deaths are due to the
preventable causes of diarrhea and acute respiratory
infections...”

“What’s on paper must be put into action,” said Bruce
Rasmussmen, Operations Director for Save the
Children’s programs in Afghanistan and Pakistan who
spoke at the briefing. “The U.S. government must
follow through on its commitment to Afghanistan by
providing the necessary funding for effective and
affordable health programs. The health and survival of
mothers and children depends on it.”

Rebuilding Afghanistan will cost roughly $15 billion
over the next ten years...The United States pledged
$297 million in Tokyo and has already more than met
its initial one-year commitment to Afghan
reconstruction. In the spirit of President Bush’s
earlier call for a ‘Marshall Plan for Afghanistan,’
Congress passed the Afghan Freedom Support Act in
November 2002, which would allocate $2.3 billion over
the next four years. The questions that remain are
whether the government will make the money available
and whether health will be a priority."

The environment is in real trouble:

http://postconflict.unep.ch/pressafghanistanjan2003.htm
"Kabul, Nairobi, January 29, 2003 - Two decades of
warfare in Afghanistan have degraded the environment
to the extent it now presents a major stumbling block
for the country's reconstruction efforts.

A United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)
Post-Conflict Environment Assessment report, produced
in close cooperation with the Afghanistan Transitional
Authority and released today, shows how conflict has
put previous environmental management and conservation
strategies on hold, brought about a collapse of local
and national governance, destroyed infrastructure,
hindered agricultural activity and driven people into
cities already lacking the most basic public
amenities.

Three to four years of drought have compounded a state
of widespread and serious resource degradation:
lowered water tables, dried up wetlands, denuded
forests, eroded land and depleted wildlife
populations.

With two million returning refugees in 2002 and a
further 1.5 million expected this year, pressure on
Afghanistan's natural resources and environmental
services are set to increase further...

...In a plastic recycling/shoe factory in Kabul the
assessment team found children working without
protection from toxic chemicals and sleeping at
machines, or in factory alcoves, between their 12
hours shifts...

...Today local communities have lost control of their
resources [forests] in these eastern provinces with
warlords, 'timber barons' and foreign traders
controlling illegal and highly lucrative logging
operations...

..."UNEP's post-conflict environment assessment
illuminates Afghanistan's current levels of
degradation, and sets forth a path that the country
can take towards sustainable development. It warns us
of a future without water, forests, wildlife and clean
air if environmental problems are not addressed in the
reconstruction period," Minister Nuristani said."
(and I didn't excerpt problems like overgrazing or
hunting of endangered animals such as the snow
leopard.)

I do not think that these are insurmountable problems;
my concern is that ignoring or Band-Aiding these
problems will result in an unstable situation down the
road (again - since the US largely abandoned
Afghanistan after we enabled the muhajedeen (sp?) to
oust the Russians, which led to the Taliban's rise).
They require a serious commitment of manpower and
money.

If the American military rolls over the Iraqi defenses
in short order (quite possible; much depends on the
regular Iraqi man-in-the-street: if he is secretly
glad SH is gone, there will be cheering, but if he
truly hates Americans, there will be bloody urban
warfare.  I have no idea where he stands.), Iraq
should be in a much better position than Afghanistan
re: resources, but factions do exist within the
country and it will require a firm hand to keep things
stable until a new government can be created.  Is
there a reasonable estimate of how many years that
will take?  The US government had better stay the
course, whether years or decades...

And now I think I've cross-threaded into 'War and
Peace,' where others are expressing my views much more
articulately, so I'll stop.  :)

Debbi