--- "Marvin Long, Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> To my (admittedly slight) knowledge Kipling was a
> critic of abusive
> colonial practices (and of what struck him as a
> naive American enthusiasm
> for colonialism in the Phillipines) but a supporter
> of the idea of a
> Christian colonial empire.  I see in the poem a deep
> disillusionment with
> the colonial project combined with a belief it is
> nevertheless the right
> thing to do, if done "right."
>
> Marvin Long

He definitely felt it was the right thing to do.
Kipling was the poet of Empire.  Kipling's
Recessional, though (probably my favorite Kipling
poem) was a warning against Imperial hubris - it's
probably the one poem every American should be
required to read.  Even my father, though, who
(understandably, given his background) is about as
staunch an anti-imperialist as you can get, will
acknowledge that Britain did a lot of good in India.
Contrast that with Belgium, for example, which did
absolutely no good whatsoever in the Congo.  What
Kipling wrote was more than noble and empty sentiments
(and, Marvin, the fact that you only see one meaning
of the word noble makes me feel kind of sorry for you
- would it make things clearer if I said that the
astronauts in Columbia were involved in "a noble
quest" or that the firefighters who went into the WTC
made "a noble sacrifice?") - the sentiments had a real
and humane effect on large portions of the world.  One
that it's very easy to regret from our enlightened
self-righteousness of the 21st century.

Gautam