Jon Gabriel wrote:

> By what I understand of your reasoning, the US should have waited until it was
>
> directly attacked by Germany before entering WWII ....

Eh... as far as I know that is exactly what the US did, it minded it's own
borders. They did some supplying to the Brittish before they entered but
undoubtably made a neat profit in the process. (f.i. Sept. 3--United States
trades 50 destroyers for naval base sites in British possessions)
Then everything changed because the US was attacked by the German ally Japan
(Nov. 25 1936 in below link). And only then it entered the war, at a very late
state in  Dec. 9 1941. The war had already been going a while by then.

For a neat chronology of WWII check this site...
http://no11-fighter-group-raf.com/chrono.htm

Sonja :o)