"John D. Giorgis" wrote:

> At 03:17 PM 12/29/2002 -0800 Doug Pensinger wrote:
> >The only way you'll get people in this country to take mass transit is
> >to force them and I don't think that's likely to happen in the near
> >future.
>
> In Washington, DC, however, our mass transit program is very successful and
> very well-utilized.   Indeed, every time they expand mass transit service
> here, ridership has exceeded expectations.

DC is a lot more compact than some other areas in which they're trying mass
transit.  Also, I get the impression that they're opening up new routes
based on good solid *thinking*, not pipe dreams.

DC has a reliable mass transit system.  Austin's wasn't entirely reliable,
last I used it.  And now there isn't any route convenient for anything *I*
would want to use it for, so I don't.

        Julia