Interesting footnote in today's news digest….
 "The NYT, alone among the papers, fronts word that
Ansar al-Islam guerrillas, who the administration says
have connections to AQ, assassinated a top Kurdish
official yesterday."

To me, this bears ominious resemblance to the
assasination of Ahmad Shah Massoud, leader of the
Afghan resistance, on September 10th, 2001.   If you
recall, Al Qaeda assassinated Massoud the day before
their attack in the hopes of crippling the US's
ability to retaliate against Taliban-occupied
Afghanistan.  Given the rise in threat status last
week, I hope that this assassination is not a
harbinger of things to come.

JDG

=====