From: "J. van Baardwijk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: Chapter by Chapter summary/discussion of a different Brin book?
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 17:27:34 +0100

At 10:48 10-2-2003 -0500, Jon Gabriel wrote:

Only accepting the outcome of the vote if you like it is so... Bush-ist...
<GRIN>
Perhaps adopting a personal policy of gedogen might be in order?

For the rest of the list, that's a mostly untranslateable Dutch term for 'tolerance of minor offenses'.
First you say it's "mostly untranslateable", then you go on to give a fairly accurate translation. Lovely... :-)
*grin*

I did a bit of reading about it on Sat nite on the net. Good to see I learned something. :)

(You can pick your jaw up off the floor now, Jeroen...) *laughter*
So, when, where and why did you learn The Mother of All Languages?

Jeroen "Speaker of Foreign Tongues" van Baardwijk
I know perhaps 3 to 5 words and that's it. Have friends who lived in Antwerp and Rotterdam for the last couple of years. Before that, a year in Belgium. Spent time with them this weekend (they moved back to Jersey a few months ago) and we talked politics.

I've borrowed some old West Wing episodes on tape from them that I'd missed. Apparently they have Dutch subtitles, so, who knows, I may pick up another word or phrase here or there. :)

Jon