Dan Minette wrote:

> Yes, I got my hair cut, and at the end of it, the barber asked if I wanted
> my beard trimmed.  Since it was rather shaggy at the time, I said yes.
>
> He proceeded to cut it _very_ short..about 5 days growth.  Two days later,
> when I stepped off a plane to join my family on vacation, my wife didn't
> recognize me.  It was horrid and itchy.
>
> That very short beard was in style in the gay community at the time.

We used to talk about beard length in terms of people we saw media pictures
of.

In growing out a beard, the worst part was what some of my friends called
the "Arafat stage", where it was short & itchy.  I wonder how he put up with
it?  (This was in the late 1980s/early 1990s.)  (There was also the "Don
Johnson stage", which IIRC came just before the "Arafat stage".  Once you
were past "Arafat" you were in a good place, beard comfort-wise.)

        Julia