--- Robert Seeberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

http://www.upi.com/view.cfm?StoryID=20030208-070617-2097r

<snippage>
> Rumsfeld raised the issue with German Defense
> Minister Peter Struck in a
> one-on-one meeting Saturday. "And the response we
> got was, 'We're talking
> about that with the French, but we're not ready to
> talk to you about it;
> it's not fully done,'" the senior official said,
> "which to say the least was
> a highly inadequate response."
>
> The official called it extraordinary that no one had
> spoken to Rumsfeld about it before...

While I think this was not the way to influence the
Bush Administration (or be friends, for that matter),
I find it ironic that Rumsfeld is so indignant over
secrecy, given the recent finding that the Justice
Dept. has secretly drafted a new security bill:
http://www.post-gazette.com/nation/20030208patriotactnat5p5.asp

"...The draft, a potential successor to the Patriot
Act that passed Congress after the Sept. 11, 2001,
attacks, would authorize the Justice Department to
conduct clandestine searches or eavesdrop on any
suspected terrorist or foreign agent for 15 days after
the beginning of a military conflict or "national
emergency," rather than after a formal declaration of
war, as current law provides...

...The Jan. 9 document, labeled "confidential -- not
for distribution" and titled the Domestic Security
Enhancement Act of 2003, was posted on the Internet by
the Center for Public Integrity, a Washington-based
nonprofit organization.

Civil liberties advocates immediately expressed alarm
about the draft.

"There are some truly breathtaking provisions here. In
some respects it is bolder even than the Patriot Act,"
said Jim Dempsey of the Center for Democracy and
Technology, a nonprofit organization based in
Washington."

Related issues, from the Cato Institute:
http://www.cato.org/research/articles/levy-021124.html

"...The policies that are put in place by this
administration are precedent-setting.

Bush supporters need to reflect on the same powers in
the hands of his predecessor or his successors.

Here's the guiding principle: In the post-9/11
environment, no rational person believes that civil
liberties are inviolable. After all, government's
primary obligation is to secure the lives of American
citizens. But when government begins to chip away at
our liberties, we must insist that it jump through a
couple of hoops. First, government must offer
compelling evidence that its new and intrusive
programs will make us safer. Second, government must
convince us that there is no less invasive means of
attaining the same ends. In too many instances, those
dual burdens have not been met.

If administration critics have a single overriding
concern about policies adopted in the wake of 9/11, it
is this: The president and the attorney general have
concentrated too much unchecked authority in the hands
of the executive branch - compromising the doctrine of
separation of powers, which has been a cornerstone of
our Constitution for more than two centuries.

Those persons who would unhesitatingly trade off civil
liberties in return for national security proclaim
that concentrated power is necessary for Americans to
remain free.

Yet there's an obvious corollary that's too often
missed: Unless Americans remain free, they will never
be secure."

[If someone already posted these articles, sorry for
the repeat - I know that I first read on-list about
the "Domestic Security Enhancement Act of 2003'.]

Hmm - I think that this was the article someone (the
Fool?) actually posted - it has a link to the
full-text document:
http://publicintegrity.org/dtaweb/report.asp?ReportID=502&L1=10&L2=10&L3=0&L4=0&L5=0

Marvin's Sig Is Looking Less Like A Joke Daily Maru