Doug wrote:
I love the intro to "This Holy Ground" from the Traffic album Far From Home. It sounds like bagpipes to me, but I seem to remember looking at the credits and finding that it was something else that I had never heard of and can't recall at the moment (and I can't find the CD). Does anyone here know? The album isn't classic Traffic, it's a reunion of Winwood and Capaldi recorded in 1994.
Those would be uilleann pipes. Have you ever seen the original video tape of Riverdance? There's a guy in the band who plays pipes with a bellows under one arm which pumps air into the bag under another arm, and their are no drone pipes, just melody. That's uilleann pipes. It's an Irish version of the bagpipes. Just like the regular bagpipes, drones can be used, but very often they are not (at least in my experience).

Another type of pipes often played with no drones that has been used on some songs by Sting is the northumbrian pipes, used on a few tunes on the _Soul Cages_ album.

Then there are border pipes/lowland pipes, with are a smaller, quieter version of the highland pipes, more suited to playing with fiddles, etc.

There is yet another version of the bagpipes played in parts of France which sounds very middle-eastern, but I don't remember what those are called.

Reggie Bautista