From: Sonja van Baardwijk-Holten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Killer Bs Discussion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Irregulars Question (New), was Re: Book Suggestions: TheBestofCurrent SciFi?
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 18:18:40 +0100

Jon Gabriel wrote:

> >From: Sonja van Baardwijk-Holten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >To: Killer Bs Discussion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >Subject: Re: Irregulars Question (New), was Re: Book Suggestions: TheBest
> >of Current SciFi?
> >Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 17:22:19 +0100

> > > Kim Stanley Robinson's _Mars_ trilogy would be a good read -- if you can
> > > spare the time to read through some 3,600 pages.
> > >

> >Might I add that you best stop reading after the first book of that
> >trilogy.
> >It becomes a drudge after that.
>
> Ack! I really liked the second and third books in that series! Guess we
> disagree. :) Plus, if Rich is looking for novels about terraforming Mars,
> the second and third books are much more detailed than the first.

You are into politics then? I found it rather hard and bothersome reads with all
the factions having issues and not really a storyline in sight.
Yes, but also the science aspect Sax Russell and Nirgal's stories fascinated me. The storylines weave themselves together to form a cohesive picture, but the book isn't told linearly and I can understand why that can be annoying.

Their entire political and physical landscape is changing drastically and that plays a tremendous role in the story. There are correlations that can be (and probably have been) drawn between the two.

Then again I
sloshed through the first three books of Tad Williamses Otherland as well. Only
on the second read I started to notice things I had overlooked the first time.
Never read them.  Would you recommend them?

I'm just a sucker for story outlines so I wolf through a book hunting for them,
just to find out on the second and third read how much of the story I actually
missed. :o)
What were your opinions of Earth? That novel also had multiple mostly separate storylines and in that sole aspect could be compared with KMS Mars series.

Sonja

GCU Story line hunter and/or gatherer.
Do the Klingons still sing stories of the great story line hunt? :)
Jon
GSV DS9 Obscure Reference #364