"G. D. Akin" wrote:

> It wouldn't be a big deal to me either except that I found I really enjoyed
> the first three.
>
> I wouldn't have read them in the first place if "A Storm of Swords" hadn't
> been nominated for a Hugo a couple of years back.  I've been a supporting
> member of the Worldcons for the last several years.  I read all nominees
> (Novels, not as diehard a fan of short fiction as I am novels) as I want to
> be an informed voter.  I also have to read any prequels of a nominated book
> (self-inflicted requirement).  So, in this case, I had to read "A Game of
> Thrones" and "A Clash of Kings".  I was hooked and am looking forward to "A
> Feast for Crows."

You go, man.  I was religious about reading the novels (*all* the novels)
and doing my best to view the stuff for Best Dramatic Presentation from 1998
to 2001.  I managed to squeak all the novels in by some miracle (I gave
birth late that May), and totally lost it for 2002 (something about moving
in early July, with house construction leading up to that), and I'm not sure
how well I'll do this year, either.

But the fairest thing to the nominees is to read or view *everything* in the
given category, and make the most informed decision possible.  That's why,
when I vote, I don't vote in very many categories.

(I make exceptions to that rule for Best Fan Artist, but only because I see
Foster and Havaria on a regular basis, and don't have qualms about *that*
particular bias.)

        Julia