At

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=564&ncid=564&e=12&u=/nm/20
030306/ts_nm/korea_usa_troops_dc_2

There is an indication that the administration is considering pulling
troops out of S. Korea and reducing the force in W. Europe.  Given the
statements of the governments of S. Korea and Germany, it seems that the
administration is thinking about a redefinition of its role in the world.
It won't abandon the world and retreat into fortress US, but it may no
longer be available to fight the main surge of a N. Korean attack.  It
might also move out of all of its German bases to a friendlier location in
E. Europe, with a scaled back presence.  My guess is that this will now be
coupled with "why is this my problem?" response to issues like the Balkans.
The US would intervene when world peace is at stake, but special attention
to certain areas of the world would be reduced.

Dan M.

Dan M.