At 08:32 PM 3/9/2003 -0500, you wrote:
At 05:21 PM 3/9/2003 -0600 Julia Thompson wrote:
>Also, I've heard of cases where teachers are not paid enough to be able to
>live in the districts in which they're teaching.  I think that's a bit much,
>personally.

This doesn't bother me....  so long as teachers are willing to make
commutes to their school districts of employment, why should they be paid
exorbitantly just so that they can live nearby?

Or more specifically, if the residents of Palo Alto can get perfectly fine
teachers at $50k, why should they pay them the $100-200k needed to have
them live nearby?

By paying them only $40-50k, they are getting a savings of around 50-75% on
paying them to live nearby, and presumably the teachers are being paid more
than they would be paid to work in the school district where they live
(otherwise, they would not commute.)

JDG

The solution is obvious. Rent controls!

Kevin T. - VRWC