http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2003/03/12/spectrum/index.html

The myth of interference
Internet architect David Reed explains how bad science created the
broadcast industry.
- - - - - - - - - - - -
By David Weinberger

March 12, 2003 | There's a reason our television sets so outgun us,
spraying us with trillions of bits while we respond only with the
laughable trickles from our remotes. To enable signals to get through
intact, the government has to divide the spectrum of frequencies into
bands, which it then licenses to particular broadcasters. NBC has a
license and you don't.
Thus, NBC gets to bathe you in "Friends," followed by a very special
"Scrubs," and you get to sit passively on your couch. It's an asymmetric
bargain that dominates our cultural, economic and political lives -- only
the rich and famous can deliver their messages -- and it's all based on
the fact that radio waves in their untamed habitat interfere with one
another.

Except they don't.