On 14 Mar 2003 at 10:15, Nick Arnett wrote:

> In my travels around the web learning about cooling, I also saw
> suggestions for fins on memory, adding thermal grease to the heatsink
> on the chip set itself, etc., etc.  I did a little work a while ago
> with the demo god at Intel, the guy who creates all the demos for the
> top execs.  Now *he* knows cooling.  His lab has a tank of liquid
> nitrogen...

heh :)

Well, to be honest for most people the thermal pad which comes on
most heatsinks is sufficiently good not to be worth the average user
using thermal grease. (the fact you need to use protective wear on
your hands, the fact that too much is actually worse than using the
pad in the first place, etc.)

The cooler you buy is important, of course. I got a Taisol, which are
not the most powerful but AMD highly recomends them (if you look at
the AMD guide to installing an Athlon, they use a Taisol there) and
they are a LOT quieter than many coolers which have the same or
slightly greater cooling abilities.

Andy
Dawn Falcon