"J. van Baardwijk" wrote:

> While it definitely sucks to be away from loved ones for such a long time,
> and while I sympathise with those sailors who had to miss their own
> wedding, you can't put a military operation on hold just because someone
> wants to get married.

You're right, you can't.  The advice I have gotten from a couple who went
and joined the Marines before getting married and then had a terrible time
*getting* married (and this was in more normal times than we're experiencing
now) is that if you know before someone joins up that you plan to get
married, get married before the enlistment starts.

But, given that, the *least* that the countries benefitting from the US
buildup without contributing to it could do is pass the hat to help out the
US armed forces personnel with things such as non-refundable deposits for
weddings that had to be cancelled.  ;)

        Julia