--- Richard Baker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Things aren't going so well for him in Parliament
> though::
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/2862325.stm
>
> Rich

Given who makes up the Labor MPs, I rather think he
did fine.  His speech was marvelous - brilliant,
incisive, irrefutable.  The money quote, for those who
think it was ever possible to bring France to a
compromise position on this issue:

We laid down an ultimatum calling upon Saddam to come
into line with resolution 1441 or be in material
breach. Not an unreasonable proposition, given the
history.

But still countries hesitated: how do we know how to
judge full cooperation?

We then worked on a further compromise. We consulted
the inspectors and drew up five tests based on the
document they published on 7 March. Tests like
interviews with 30 scientists outside of Iraq;
production of the anthrax or documentation showing its
destruction.

The inspectors added another test: that Saddam should
publicly call on Iraqis to cooperate with them. So we
constructed this framework: that Saddam should be
given a specified time to fulfil all six tests to show
full cooperation; that if he did so the inspectors
could then set out a forward work programme and that
if he failed to do so, action would follow.

So clear benchmarks; plus a clear ultimatum. I defy
anyone to describe that as an unreasonable position.

Last Monday, we were getting somewhere with it. We
very nearly had majority agreement and I thank the
Chilean President particularly for the constructive
way he approached the issue.

There were debates about the length of the ultimatum.
But the basic construct was gathering support.

Then, on Monday night, France said it would veto a
second resolution whatever the circumstances. Then
France denounced the six tests. Later that day, Iraq
rejected them. Still, we continued to negotiate.

Last Friday, France said they could not accept any
ultimatum. On Monday, we made final efforts to secure
agreement. But they remain utterly opposed to anything
which lays down an ultimatum authorising action in the
event of non-compliance by Saddam.

Just consider the position we are asked to adopt.
Those on the security council opposed to us say they
want Saddam to disarm but will not countenance any new
resolution that authorises force in the event of
non-compliance.

That is their position. No to any ultimatum; no to any
resolution that stipulates that failure to comply will
lead to military action.

So we must demand he disarm but relinquish any concept
of a threat if he doesn't. From December 1998 to
December 2002, no UN inspector was allowed to inspect
anything in Iraq. For four years, not a thing.

What changed his mind? The threat of force. From
December to January and then from January through to
February, concessions were made.

What changed his mind? The threat of force. And what
makes him now issue invitations to the inspectors,
discover documents he said he never had, produce
evidence of weapons supposed to be non-existent,
destroy missiles he said he would keep? The imminence
of force.

The only persuasive power to which he responds is
250,000 allied troops on his doorstep.

And yet when that fact is so obvious that it is
staring us in the face, we are told that any
resolution that authorises force will be vetoed. Not
just opposed. Vetoed. Blocked.

There are _no words_ to express my admiration for
Blair - or Howard, Aznar, and the brave few world
leaders who have decided to fulfill their
responsibilities on this day.

Gautam