At 11:05 PM 3/27/03 +0000, Alberto Monteiro wrote:
Does anyone have any idea of the accelerations [in a non-rotating
frame of reference, relative to the Sun] of the stars in the Sun
neighbourhood and the bright stars in our sky for some long time?

I'm not worried about the _precision_ of the acceleration, as long
as I have it for thousands or even millions of years

Alberto,

I'm not sure about _accelerations_, but the Hipparcos/Tycho catalog has the best currently available information on the motions of the stars it lists (except for the handful of stars which have had very precise measurements made by the HST Fine Guidance Sensors). There was an article in _Sky and Telescope_ within the past few years in which that data was used to determine which star was the apparently brightest star as seen from Earth at any given time during the interval 5 mybp to 5 myap. (Frex, Alberio will be the brightest star in the sky about 4.5 my from now.) Does this sound like what you need? If so, are you familiar with the Hip/Tyc catalog and its data format, or do you need more information?

-- Ronn! :)

Ronn Blankenship
Instructor of Astronomy/Planetary Science
University of Montevallo
Montevallo, AL

Disclaimer: Unless specifically stated otherwise, any opinions contained herein are the personal opinions of the author and do not represent the official position of the University of Montevallo.