At 18:27 30-03-03 +0000, Alberto Monteiro wrote:

Is it true, Jeroen?

The Mayor of Amsterdam is _always_ elected with 100% of the votes of those that elect him, namely, one vote from the Queen?

In a way, it's true. Mayors here don't get elected but are appointed by the Crown.

The appointment instead of election of mayors has been a point of discussion for several years already. Last year there were two towns (the town of Best, where I grew up, being one of them) were, as an experiment, the mayor was elected by the local population. But other than that, mayors still get appointed, not elected -- and I don't expect that situation to change drastically anytime soon.

Jeroen "Political Observations" van Baardwijk