From: "Andrew Crystall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> On 6 Jun 2003 at 10:25, Michael Harney wrote:
>
> > I thought I would ring in on this thread and give my two cents.  Being
> > a vegetarian significantly reduces your chances of developing cancers.
> >  This is not only because cooked vegetables contain far less
> > carcinogens than cooked meat, but because the cattle produced for
> > inductrial nations is usually laden heavily with sterroids and
> > hormones, which, when consumed, are often absorbed into the body.
> > These growth hormones used on cattle supress the immune system and
> > encourage weight gain, both of which encourage cancer development.
>
> Depends on the meat you eat. Meat "enhanced" that way isn't Kosher,
> so Jews who follow the dietry laws won't be getting any of that.
> Also, most of that is banned in Europe anyway.

How exactly does a cow being injected with hormones make the cow suddenly
non-Kosher? I have never heard this before.  What jewish law regarding foods
does that violate?  I know the blood must be drained from the animal, I know
that meat can not be eaten with dairy, but never have I heard or read that a
cow given hormones is non-Kosher.  I am curious about this.  Does injecting
a cow with hormones render the cows milk non-Kosher as well?

Regardless of that though, you still have the problem of cooked meat having
far more carcinogens than vegetables.

Michael Harney
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because
he had achieved so much... the wheel, New York, wars, and so on, whilst all
the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.
But conversely the dolphins believed themselves to be more intelligent than
man for precisely the same reasons." - Douglas Adams