--- Robert Seeberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
<snip>
> The day my son was born, he reacted to my voice and
> my wife's voice, but not
> to anyone else's. It was quite shocking when it
> happened, and that
> "standard" look of shock and recognition on his face
> when he heard our
> voices caught everyone by surprise.
>
> Up to that point I had thought her insistence that I
> talk to her swollen
> belly every night, beyond ridiculous. But I must
> admit that she might have been correct all along.

Development of maternal (and I'll assume paternal, but
those studies haven't been formally done! [1]) voice
recognition is a function of advancing memory ability
in the fetus; preemies don't have it as well as
full-terms. (
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=12325136&dopt=Abstract

Tune recognition can occur sometime after 30 weeks'
gestational age, if daily exposure occurs (but if
re-exposure doesn't occur post-birth, the 21+day-old
newborn seems to "forget" the learned tune):
http://www.cirp.org/library/psych/hepper1/

Oh, this is interesting -- this paper argues that
language evolved from *musicality* -- the whales would
approve!
http://allserv.rug.ac.be/~mvaneech/ORILA.FIN.html
"Song (musicality, singing capacity), we argue,
underlies both the evolutionary origin of human
language and its development during early childhood.
Specifically, we propose that language acquisition
depends upon a Music Acquiring Device (MAD) which has
been doubled into a Language Acquiring Device (LAD)
through memetic evolution. Thus, in opposition to the
currently most prominent language origin hypotheses
(Pinker, S. 1994. The Language Instinct, W. Morrow,
N.Y.; Deacon, T.W. 1997. The Symbolic Species, W.W.
Norton, N.Y.), we contend that language itself was not
the underlying selective force which lead to better
speaking individuals through natural selection.
Instead we suggest that language emerged from the
combination of (i) natural selection for increasingly
better mental representation abilities during animal
evolution (thinking, mental syntax) and (ii) natural
selection during recent human evolution for the human
ability to sing, and finally (iii) memetic selection
that only recently (within the last 100,000 years)
reused these priorly evolved abilities to create
language. Thus, speech - the use of symbolic sounds
linked grammatically - is suggested to be largely a
cultural phenomenon, linked to the Upper Palaeolithic
revolution. The ability to sing provided the physical
apparatus and neural respirational control that is now
used by speech. The ability to acquire song became the
means by which children are able to link animal mental
syntax with syntax of spoken language. Several studies
strongly indicate that this is achieved by children
through a melody-based recognition of intonation,
pitch, and melody sequencing and phrasing. Language,
we thus conjecture, owes its existence not to innate
language learning competencies, but to innate
music-associated ones, which - unlike the competencies
hypothesized for language - can be straightforwardly
explained to have evolved by natural selection..."

I'd guess that prenatal recognition of maternal voice
occurs in many if not most social animals, as it would
have a high survival value for babies like seals,
geese and herd animals (I wonder if near-term whale
and dolphin babies sonar-cast?  Do mother cetaceans
'hear' their soon-to-be-born offspring?  Mother
alligators do, although of course theirs are in
nest-mounds.).  However, a tiny (N=9) study in seal
pups found that they took 2-5 days to recognize their
mother's voice:
http://www.cb.u-psud.fr/cb/Nature.pdf

A study of piglets found that they distinguish their
mother's voice from other sows at less than 2 days
old:
http://link.springer-ny.com/link/service/journals/10211/fpapers/esc/contents/02/00071/paper/s10211-002-0071-4ch100.html

Other forms of prenatal learning (habituation,
classical conditioning) have been demonstrated in
small studies with frogs, ducks, rats and humans (one
guy used a car horn as the noxious stimulus!).

Debbi
who bets that the mother cat's umble-equivalent is
recognized by her newborn kittens  ;)

[1]  Well, there was an old small study that found "no
significant" response of the newborn to paternal
voice, but I don't think that most US fathers of
decades ago talked to their wives' 3rd trimester
bellies...so if a proper study was done now, results
should show recognition!