Dr. Brin:

I'm re-reading _Earth_ right now and I've a got a question for you. In the preface, you wrote that the future shown in the book is "about the most encouraging tomorrow I can imagine right now. What a sobering thought."

Do you still feel that way?

Pretty much. Except that EARTH presupposed a mature Pax Americana helping to ease in its successor, a loose, best-case world governance.

Instead now we see an immature, triumphalist Pax Americana, almost deliberately spitting in the eyes of everybody in sight, driving Paris, Berlin, Moscow, Beijing and Teheran into each others' arms.

Not subtle. Not far-seeing. Not wise.