At 07:05 PM 6/9/03 -0400, Erik Reuter wrote:
On Mon, Jun 09, 2003 at 05:31:49PM -0500, Reggie Bautista wrote:

> Not all religions.  And please don't think that all people who call
> themselves Christians are part of the same religion.

I could just as well say, please don't call yourself Christian

By definition, a "Christian" is one who believes in/follows Jesus Christ.

if
you don't want me to think you are irrational or extremist. Guilt
by association.

Like, say, to a Democrat, anyone who calls himself a "Republican" is guilty by association, or vice versa.

There are and have been MANY irrational, cruel, and
extremist Christians.

"Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven." (Matthew 7:21)

If it bothers you to be associated with them,
then mabye you should not associate with them (where associate in this
context means use the same name to describe yourself). Or at least don't
be so surprised when people make some judgements about you based on your
choice of associations.

As some people will if you call yourself a "Democrat", or a "Republican", or a "liberal", or a "conservative", or a "science-fiction fan", or . . .

> Some are extremists, some aren't.  Some people can be extremists who
> are members of churches that aren't usually extremist, and some people
> can be non-extremists even if they are members of churches that are
> extremist.

Personally, I don't like to associate myself with groups that have such
a bad history and such a large number of irrational people.

Fen, frex. ;-)

While there
are certainly some worthwhile things in most religions, I think they
are far outweighed by the extremism and irrationality that inevitably
seem to infest them. Apparently, you do not. To me, that says something
about you. I reserve my right to judge you on that,

"JUDGE not, that ye be not judged." Matthew 7:1

(I knew everyone would be expecting it.)

and apparently so do some others here.

"Everybody is entitled to his own ridiculous opinion." (W. C. Widenhouse, Capt., USAF, ca. 1977)

Now, I think you have a lot of good qualities :-) and
I don't mean to imply that you are evil just because of your choice of
associations. But I think you should expect to sometimes be judged by
those you associate yourself with. If you are discriminated against or
persecuted, then you have been wronged and I certainly don't advocate
you take that lying down. But what Fool and William have been writing is
far from persecution.

Huh? Did I miss a message where Reggie — or anyone — claimed to be the victim of persecution?

-- Ronn! :)

God bless America,
Land that I love!
Stand beside her, and guide her