On Tuesday, June 10, 2003, at 11:41 PM, Gautam Mukunda wrote:

From _The Guardian_ (that bastion of pro-Bush
propaganda):

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,2763,974193,00.html

As JDG has pointed out, the number of items currently
believed to have been stolen is 33 and dropping.
Truly the looting must have been terrible.  There were
a fair number of people who said some remarkably
foolish things about the so-called looting of the
Iraqi museum.  Odds that any of them will even admit
they were wrong?

I do wonder, at some point will the credibility of
these people just evaporate?  I mean, will people say,
gee, the people of Iraq _did_ celebrate when we
arrived, Saddam _was_ defeated fairly easily, the
country _didn't_ collapse into civil war, the museum
_wasn't_ looted, and so on - at some point will the
media say (as the public already has) that empirical
reality and these people's beliefs are, let's be kind, orthogonal?

Sorry my friend, but you'll have to wait about 25 years for something like that to happen, and even *that* might not be enough time. Humanity's capability for self-delusion knows no bounds.

john