Doug Pensinger wrote:

Would it have made much difference?

Doug

Who doesn't believe it would have.

My understanding is that the religion itself has many tenets which inhibit both socialogical and scientific change. Not that Christianity didn't have some of those same characteristics at various times, but...
It's fairly easy to abandon Christianity and continue to live in a Christian society, whereas this is harder in a muslim society, combined with the very act of abandoning Christian thinking often provokes mindsets and tangential thinking which can lead to advancements. I don't think it's a coincidence that muslim countries generally seem to have advanced about 300 years of our advances in the last 1300 years or so, and that's being generous in how the time is scaled...

Cheers
Russell C.