In a message dated 7/6/2003 8:15:42 PM Eastern Standard Time, TomFODW writes:

> I'm not sure I understand your point. Are you saying that Koufax himself would not
> go along with others' overestimation of him? I certainly agree with you on that,
> since that was my unstated point: that it was his admirers and not him who have the
> unfortunate tendency I noted. Koufax himself has been an extremely private person.
> An admirable one, but there are lots of admirable people who don't have their
> friends trying
> to glorify them.

My point is that the biography does not idolize him as a person. The author idolizes
him as an athlete and appreciates him as a man. But I would make the point that Kofax
seems unique in his maintaining his dignity and his refusal to cash in on his
celebrity. But rather then argue this I would suggest that you read the book to learn
of his small kindnesses and his interactions with others.