I replied to this over 2 hours ago; the post hasn't
shown, so I'm trying again (although I don't remember
exactly what I said then... :P ).

--- Ronn!Blankenship <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  Deborah Harrell wrote:

> >Apparently we've inadvertantly helped develop a
> >bacterium that needs our waste to live:
> >

>http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20030703/ap_on_sc/toxic_feeder_5
> >"...Vinyl chloride is one of the most common and
> >hazardous industrial chemicals. It can linger in
the
> >soil for hundreds of years and is present at about
> >third of the toxic Superfund sites listed by the
> >Environmental Protection Agency (news - web sites).
> It usually accumulates as a deteriorated form of
more
> >complex compounds found in dry cleaning fluid and
> >metal cleansers....
> >"These organisms can only grow when the
> >contaminants are present," he said. "When the
> material
> >is gone, their numbers decline because they don't
> have any food. So really it's a perfect system."

> Didn't I read that novel 30 years ago?

<<http://homepage.ntlworld.com/john.seymour1/ukbookguide/Series/Doomwatch/mutant59.html>>

<grin>  I also read that one...about 3 decades ago.
Funny how 'monsters' can be both huge flesh-eating
creatures, and - microscopic flesh-destroying ones.

Life Under The Cover-slip Maru  ;)