Michael Harney wrote:

> I know that this list was originally started as a list dedicated to
> discussion of specific authors and their books, so I thought I would bring
> up a topic that is closer to being actually on topic in the little time that
> I have to compose email today (at least part of the reason that I haven't
> replied to other threads).
>
> I have been reading more than usual recently.  Mostly because the air
> conditioner I have in my room sucks, so leaving my computer on all day makes
> the room intollerably hot on days when the air conditioner is not working
> the way it should.  It started with reading _Dragonseye_ by Anne McCaffrey
> (one of the Pern novels).  That was followed by reading _Do Androids Dream
> of Electric Sheep_ by Phillip K. Dick.  After that I read _/_ by Greg Bear.
> I am currently reading _Expendable_ by James Alan Gardner.
>
> I wanted to ask those who have read some/many of the Pern novels a question.
> I have only read _Dragonseye_ and _The Dolphins of Pern_.  The question I
> have is:  Are the events in some of the other pern books more epic?  Let me
> elaborate for clarity.  I liked the books, but I found them to be a little
> lacking in the end because there never seems to be any grand, exciting
> events in the stories.  No major climax to the story.  Are the other Pern
> novels similar, or are there better ones?

_Dragonflight_, the first one written, has some grand, exciting events.
_Dragonsdawn_ is more exciting, as well.  _Moreta_ at least has a much
greater sense of urgency than either of the two you've read.

Let's see if I can remember order of publication:

Dragonflight
Dragonquest
The White Dragon
Moreta
Dragonsdawn
Nerilka's Story

OK, I'm losing it now, and I'm not sure that Nerilka's Story was
published before Dragonsdawn.  (I know I read it *after*, and I was
seizing McCaffrey books as soon as they came out in paperback for awhile
there....)  There are a number that follow, including the two you read.

There was also the Harper Hall Trilogy, starting with _Dragonsong_,
followed by _Dragonsinger_ and concluding with _Dragondrums_.  They're
on an easier reading level, not terribly epic, but about characters I
enjoyed reading about.  Then again, I read the first one for the first
time at age 10, and read _Dragonsinger_ repeatedly when I was in junior
high, so take that into consideration.  (At least they're quicker reads,
so if you're somewhat disappointed, you won't have invested as much time
in them.)

You might like _The Ship Who Sang_, which is by McCaffrey, but not a
Pern book.  Or _Decision on Doona_ (same).

> Reading  _Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep_ was interesting and painful.
> Worth reading once in my opinion, but it is a book I probably won't read
> again.

The movie that was based on it, Blade Runner, is worth watching.
Painful in different ways.  (I won't say "not as painful", but it's a
very good movie, IMO.)

That's all I have to say about that right now.  :)

        Julia

p.s. if you can get it from your library, you might be interested in
_Speed of Dark_ by Elizabeth Moon.  It'll be out in paperback sometime
early next year, I think.