--- Julia Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<snip>
> And the cousins I saw the most often growing up were
> actually second
> cousins, and they didn't have very many toys at all
> that I remember (but
> the youngest was at least 3 years older than I was),
> but they were
> really good at finding stuff outside to play with,
> and the oldest once
> made a swing for my sister and myself, out of a
> board and a length of
> rope, and tied it to a tree limb, and that was
> *really* cool.  So, as
> far as my cousins went, the ones with the least
> stuff (especially the
> least Barbie stuff) seemed to have the most fun.
> (But they had more
> dogs than any of the rest of my cousins, and a
> better place for riding
> bikes, and a beach very close to their house, where
> they could get into wet seaweed fights....)

A teacher friend and I have discussed how it seems
that many children today have to be "entertained"
instead of making up their own toys/stories/games, and
how scheduled/regimented their days seem in comparison
to ours-of-then.  Marbles, colored pencils, pebbles
from the beach all 'stood in' for whatever we needed
for the game-of-the-day: jungle animals, soldiers,
spaceships.  Tree-shadow meant forest, direct sunlight
was prairie, fences were mountains or rivers (except
when one had *real* forest with boulders and creeks to
play in!)...

Maybe it was more a case of "making do" with what we
had, because certainly having a genuine leather
bullwhip that your grandfather had shown you how to
"crack!" made playing Round-Up or Tarzan much more
fun.  :D

Debbi
who never had 'Barbie envy,' but did covet a richer
friend's model horse 'herd'...  ;)