From: Deborah Harrell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Killer Bs Discussion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Science and knowledge
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 10:06:06 -0700 (PDT)

--- Erik Reuter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Deborah Harrell wrote:
>
> > Hey!  What about the astronomy example I gave in
> my first post this thread:
> >
> > "And for an even longer timeframe from observance
> to 'scientific
> > revision,' look at the change from an
> Earth-centered to a sun-centered system! :) "
>
> Not a good comparison. If we looked at the sun and
> planets but never
> realized they were moving at all, then maybe you
> would have a point.
>
> The problem is that you are comparing a situation
> where we have a lot
> of measurements and interaction with the element of
> interest and have
> found NOTHING to support your claim, with various
> things that were based
> on interpretation of data that did exist and just
> required further
> refinement. NOTHING does not equal SOMETHING.

<huge grin>
Would you accept an area of inquiry that *men* have
been pondering for ages, but claim still not to
understand at all?  (that last is a bit of an
exaggeration...)

Women! ;)

There *could* be a joke in there somewhere about how illogical and irrational subjects aren't inherently understandable, but I certainly won't go searching for it.

;-)

Jon
Wearing Flame Retardant Underwear Maru

Le Blog: http://zarq.livejournal.com