This is certainly one of the most amazing stories of the year - the
Governor of mighty California is going to face a recall election in late
Sept. or the first Tues. of Oct.    The best opinion on this I have heard
is from a Democratic activist who pointed out how the combination of the
potency of incumbency and fundraising skills had led the Democrats to
nominate a pretty shoddy Governor like Gray Davis whom nobody was
particularly crazy about, and then led California to elect him over a guy
nominated by the Republicans who probably would have been an even more
shoddy Governor and whom people liked even less.

Of course, California Democrats, instead of doing the wise thing and trying
to get a solid candidate in there are rallying around the sinking ship.....

JDG

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-recall24jul24,1,145947.story

SACRAMENTO — The drive to remove Gov. Gray Davis from office qualified for
the ballot Wednesday, clearing the way for a campaign unlike any other in
California history.