SUPREME COURT INDEPENDENCE, BY THE NUMBERS
from The Washington Post

For years, two schools of thought have debated how the Supreme Court makes
decisions. Are the nine justices simply "politicians in robes," destined by
ideology to vote a certain way, or are they independent actors, whose
opinions reflect their times, their experience and, most of all, the law
itself?

Mathematician Lawrence Sirovich, of Mount Sinai School of Medicine's
Laboratory of Applied Mathematics in New York, stepped into this morass
last month, introducing a purely mathematical model to gauge the justices'
independence simply by cataloguing how often each one sides with the
majority or the minority.

Using the techniques of information theory, Sirovich analyzed 468 opinions
by the "Second Rehnquist Court" between 1994 and 2002 to assess how often
the justices seemed to fit into predictable ideological boxes. Information
theory is a mathematical tool designed to highlight the "unexpected" in
complicated systems -- such as a nine-headed Supreme Court.

Complete article:

<<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A48694-2003Jul25.html>>

--Ronn! :)

I always knew that I would see the first man on the Moon.
I never dreamed that I would see the last.
        --Dr. Jerry Pournelle