William T Goodall wrote:

The most unreliable OS I had running until recently was the OS on my Vigor 2600We ADSL modem-router-firewall-wireless-basestation-kitchen-sink gadget
which used to lock up every 10 to 14 days, requiring a reboot. I upgraded the firmware a couple of months ago and it hasn't misbehaved since. Upgradeable firmware is good :)

My D-Link version of these used to do that too, but it turned out that the cable ISP (which specifically bans the use of any sort of internet sharing device, and requires an authentication client running on the PC to enforce it) had changed their system to sabotage them. D-Link promptly issued an upgrade to resolve, which the ISP (Australia's biggest telco) promptly sabotaged, for about 3 or 4 rounds, until the telco gave up.
Gotta love upgradeable firmware...

The telco's authentication client was the most crash-prone software I've ever used, which really pissed me off, not to mention I couldn't use it with my NetWare servers.

Cheers
Russell C.