Reggie Bautista wrote:
Tom wrote:

>>>Why does Snape, who clearly abhors Voldemort and all the Death >>>Eaters, still
>>>show any favor at all to Slytherin just because
>>>it's his own house, when it is full of people who at the very
>>>leastsympathize with Voldemort?
>>Jim replied:
>>Keeping up appearances, I imagine.  He uses Occlumency to hide his
>>true feelings from Voldermort, and favors Slytherin to demonstrate
>>his continuing loyalty.  Or at least that is my theory.
>
>Keep your friends close and your enemies closer?  I  hadn't thought
>about that.

That's not really how I thought of it, Reggie.  I was looking at it more from a
standpoint of what if that little prat Malfoy tells Daddy that Snape is acting funny?
It could draw suspicion.

>And it may be that he really doesn't see the problems with the
>students in Slytherin (or with most of them, anyway);
>Also, maybe Snape feels that Slytherin is a valid choice of house
>(as Dumbledore must also feel, since he hasn't gotten rid of
>Slytherin house), and why not have some loyalty to your own house?

That's probably also part of it.  And of course sticking it to Harry and the
Gryffindors is always a big bonus, I'm sure.

>Maybe he thinks some of the students from that house are
>salvageable, and he wants to be an example of how one can be dark
>and moody and... well, Goth, for lack of a better term, and still
>not be a Voldemort sympathizer or follower.

That's a good point I hadn't thought about.  Ambition is not, in and of itself, an
evil trait, and it is the one Slytherin most valued.  If you can point those ambitious
kids along the right path, you've got a better chance of keeping them from the Dark
Arts than you would if you sent them off on their own.

Jim