--- Kevin Tarr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > I thought it was people who fly the Confederate flag who were more
> likely
> > > to not only own firearms but to have a rifle on a rack in the back
> window
> > > of their truck . . .
> > >
> > > I Can Say That Because I Live Here Maru
> >
> >Well, the people who are going to have the strongest feelings one way or
> >the other about the Confederate flag are more likely to be in the south,
> >where general gun ownership is higher than it is in, say, the northeast.
> >
> >If you took *everyone* in the US who have very negative feelings about
> >the US flag and calculated the percentage who own guns, I bet it would
> >be smaller than the percentage of gun-owners among those who have very
> >negative feelings about the Confederate flag.
> >
> >         Julia
>

> That's a tough call, to say in general gun ownership is less in the
> northeast. I think if you throw out Philly, New York City and
> Massachusetts, the percentages would pass the south. And please, throw out
> all three. After Atlanta do any southern cities have restrictive gun laws?
> Don't know if you are considering Florida as part of the south.
>
> I'd actually bet there are more gun owners who have negative feelings about
>
> the US flag than the Confederate flag. I just don't think there are that
> many who have any strong feelings about the Con flag, period.

I think that relating the two is rediculous. In much the same way as relating
poodle owners to persons who have marigolds in their front lawn. Or cell
phone users to people who own a back-hoe.

No matter what laws get passed, no matter who can leagaly cary a gun and who
can't Criminals will allways own and carry guns.

A much more interesting statistic would be the perentage of
non-law-enforcement people who carry a conceled weapons who are also
non-criminals.

Personsly I would prefer there to be more non-criminals with concealed
weapons than criminals with concealed weapons, but proponents of gun control
laws seem to prefer it if ONLY criminals carry weapons.

=====