WARNING:  Kinda Graphic!!!!!

----- Original Message -----
From: "Julia Thompson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, August 18, 2003 12:31 PM
Subject: Re: Elevators and Death - My day at work

> I went looking in yesterday's Statesman to see if I could find anything
> about it, and I did.  The short article indicated that there was a woman
> on the elevator, trapped for 15-20 minutes after the accident.  Pretty
> awful all around.

With the guys severed head no less.
The woman was medical staff, but none the less, I have trouble imagining the
horror she endured for those 20 minutes *after watching a quite gory
decapitation. (You have to understand that it wasn't a "clean" decapitation
by any means. The gap between the cab and the building structure at the door
is an inch or an inch and a half. It had to be........messy)

I suppose that we expect our medical proffessionals to be a bit detached
when it comes to viewing human inner bits and the like, but I don't think
you could be human and not have this effect you very strongly and for quite
a long time.

For me, the worst parts of this incident have much less to do with what I
imagine someone else felt, than what I can clearly see other people are
feeling.

Rusty is I think some sort of non-medical organizational person for the
Medical Education dept. and she is directly involved with the Resident
Staff.
She is right around retirement age.
I have always thought of her as a crusty and tough old bird ( I say that
with admiration), and I have been friendly with her for several years since
our paths cross at the hospital quite frequently.

Saturday she was, as you would expect, distraught over the death of a
co-worker, someone she has responsibility for.
But this morning I ran into her as she was returning the deceased's scrubs
and smocks to the linen people. Still very upset, and I could smell alchohol
when I gave her a hug. You can feel it when some part of a persons spirit
has broken, you can feel that same part breaking in you in sympathy.
 I'm pretty sure she will be fine after some time, but it is with great
difficulty that I watch this process of pain being played out in someone
elses life.
It brings back, not exactly memories, but the feelings associated with those
memories of the deaths of people who were close to me.
So, for the last couple of days, and maybe for the next few, I'm feeling
somewhat haunted.

> I'm really glad I didn't initially find out about it on the local TV
> news.  Rob's account at least let me brace myself for something really
> bad, whereas the local news wouldn't have had time for that kind of
> build-up.

It gets slightly worse in other ways. The story was picked up on
Drudgereport.com, so its pretty much worldwide now.

> Julia
>
> who will find the @#$% stairs and use them if the elevator at the
> medical building she's going to tomorrow doesn't open level with the
> floor (it's only a 2nd story office)

The basic lesson of this event, one I keep thinking about, is that if you
recognize that a machine is not operating properly, unless you can fix it,
don't use it.

xponent
Night Of The Living Day Maru
rob