George wrote:
To my surprise, "To Dream in the City of Sorrows" by Kathryn M.
Drennan was on the shelf
[snip]
My question is this:  should I read it now or wait until after I have
watched season 3 or does it matter?

Wait until after season 3, or at least until after the late third season two-part episode. You'll be glad you did. And that novel is very, very good.

By the way, Kathryn Drennan is the same person who wrote the first season episode "By Any Means Necessary" (the one with the strike) and is also Joe Straczynski's "spousal overunit" (as he usually puts it).

From the guide page for "By Any Means Necessary" on The Lurker's Guide to
Babylon 5:
http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/countries/master/guide/012.html

Kathryn's last name is Drennan. Her full credit is Kathryn M. Drennan. Not
Straczynski. Probably displaying considerable wisdom on her part. Ten thousand
letters, no vowels.
[snip]
Kathryn Drennan, my Spousal Overunit, is also a writer, and has written for many
other shows, primarily in animation, but with some forays into other areas.
[snip]
Anyway, she desperately wanted to write a B5 script. But because of my feelings
about nepotism, I refused to give her an assignment.

The rest of that story is on the website listed.

Reggie Bautista