On
> Behalf Of Deborah Harrell
> Sent: Thursday, August 21, 2003 1:57 PM
> To: Killer Bs Discussion
> Subject: Re: Scouted: Interview with Matt Ridley in The Edge
>
> --- Jon Gabriel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > A month old, but I haven't seen it posted yet. (Of
> > course, I'm hundreds of
> > posts behind again, so if it has, my apologies.)
> > Ridley is the author of
> > 'Genome' and 'Nature via Nurture'.
> >
> http://www.edge.org/3rd_culture/ridley03/ridley_print.html
> >
> > Excerpt:
> > "What's happened is that genetic changes are
> > necessary to enable kinds of
> > learning, to enable kinds of nurture, and to enable
> > kinds of experience to
> > get into the organism. In that sense genes are just
> > as important a part of
> > the story of nurture as they are the story of
> > nature. When you start to see
> > it that way, you can resolve the old
> > nature-versus-nurture debate, and you
> > can instead start to talk about nature via nurture
> > instead.
> <snip>
>
> Good article - thanks for posting this.

Ka Wow!  Catching up? :-)

> And while I  first read about it elsewhere, I couldn't
> remember the details of the study that correlates a
> gene variant (an MAO enzyme) to violent adult
> behavior, but _only_ if the child is abused (it's
> noted in here).

I find the ramifications just fascinating: everything I learned about
genetics, biology and 'the way things work' in school is being
completely rewritten in favor of a more accurate model. :)

> It will be interesting to see what the interactions
> are WRT genes/personality/environment.

Very.  The concept of diseases being caused by a specific combination of
environmental factors and gene expression is starting to be examined.
IOW, a person may have a genetic tendency to develop a particular
disease but won't if a particular stimulus is lacking from their
environment

Personally, I'm very interested in these studies.  My father had MS.
Scientists have not yet found a direct genetic link to MS and as a
result some neurologists have speculated that environmental factors
causing physiological changes may be responsible for the disease.

A few more years and they may have it pinned down to something
resembling that theory. :)

> Debbi
> I Ride, Therefore I Am Maru  :)

I just walk these days.  It's less aerobic, but I like it. :)
*grin*
Jon

Le Blog:  http://zarq.livejournal.com