Ronn!Blankenship <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> asked:

    How about simply having bus routes that actually go where people
    want to go at the time they want to go there?

That helps!

    ... Many people these days live in one suburb and work in another
    suburb, ...

But this produces a problem:  you need many bus routes to cover
suburbs.  US suburbs are built for cars.  They are like a random
access memory.  That is to say, as a practical matter, you may have to
go from any one spot to some other spot.  But bus (and rail) routes
form lines or loops.  They don't go to everywhere, but just to places
along the route.

Modern technology means that you can have people call the bus company
and ask for the bus to come to your door and then drop you off at a
particular place, but that may well stretch the trip for others.  In
any event, it makes the trip length more variable, and people hate
that.

    Then there are the people who do not work 8 to 5 and so either
    have to get to work before the first bus of the morning runs or
    leave after the last buses of the evening have run, ...

Yes -- yet another problem.  The only way to solve this is to run more
buses carrying smaller numbers of people.  When I was in university, I
organized just this, subsidizing some buses (to Girton, a women's
college, late at night after the buses normally stopped).

    ... And while cell phones and laptops indeed allow some people to
    make productive use of commute time, ....

And others, like me, cannot read or write in a bus.  Too much
vibration.  Personally, I hate buses.

As I have said, I hope the environmentalists are right.  If the global
weather changes we are seeing are natural, the costs are much higher
than if humans cause the changes.

    http://www.teak.cc                             [EMAIL PROTECTED]