There is a federal mandate to get the E-911 system operational in the US.
Essentally, all wireless carriers are required to start issuing phones that
have technology to allow tracking within 50 - 100 meters throughout most of
the country. This is set to be completed by 2006.

I am sure that the wireless companies will provide secondary services to pay
for these upgrades. Some of these services will be location searches,
locator services, etc.
I have been working on a business plan to take advantage of some of these
services when they become a reality. For instance, providing automatic
traffic alerts to subscribers if there is a traffic slowdown ahead of a
subscriber. A second service would be an alert if a phone exceeds a boundary
set. Parents could then set boundaries in which their children could not
cross without them knowing about it.
This will radically change the way people get information - where
information is delivered not on request, but upon location. URL's will
become localized - where depending on your location, a web server delivers
different content to you (if you are using your phone to browse). The phone
will be a authenticating device, verifying both identity and location. Spam
will take on a whole new dimension, where spammers will do a drive-by splat
based on when you traverse into a geographic boundary.

In summary, there is no stopping this technology. It will be built into
every phone in the near future.

Combine these three elements - Locator services for location verification,
smart cards for authentication, and built in digital cameras into the
phones; it will provide true witness for every accident, event, and crime
committed.

Combine this with automotive logs new cars have built in (the trip
computer), accidents will be recorded as they truly happen, not as people
recall (Really, I was not speeding!)...
Already Law enforcement is using logs from cars to determine what a car was
doing seconds before an accident, from speed, to braking, even data of how a
car swerves or slides. My own car can track when it is not travelling the
direction the wheels are pointed to, and will automatically take over
throttle, braking and torque to each wheel to stablize the car (its kinds
freaky when the car takes over and won't allow me to brake or accelerate in
this condition). This amounts to greater accountibility with driving.

Nerd From Hell

http://www.fcc.gov/911/enhanced/
The wireless Enhanced 911 (E911) rules seek to improve the effectiveness and
reliability of wireless 911 service by providing 911 dispatchers with
additional information on wireless 911 calls.

The wireless E911 program is divided into two parts - Phase I and Phase II.
Phase I requires carriers, upon appropriate request by a local Public Safety
Answering Point (PSAP), to report the telephone number of a wireless 911
caller and the location of the antenna that received the call. Phase II
requires wireless carriers to provide far more precise location information,
within 50 to 100 meters in most cases.

The deployment of E911 requires the development of new technologies and
upgrades to local 911 PSAPs, as well as coordination among public safety
agencies, wireless carriers, technology vendors, equipment manufacturers,
and local wireline carriers. The FCC established a four-year rollout
schedule for Phase II, beginning October 1, 2001 and to be completed by
December 31, 2005. To help identify and address factors causing delay in
implementing Phase II, the Commission instituted a Phase II technical
inquiry under the direction of Dale Hatfield.