Kevin Tarr wrote:

> A relative of mine received a letter (from state xx, where xx is at least
> nine states from PA) that said:
>
> "My nephew's mother disappeared 30 years ago. We wonder if you are yyy mother?"
>
> I don't think it's a scam of any sort. Of course the relative isn't this
> man's mother. She gained her name, through marriage, 20 years ago. But she
> was, not upset, but excited because yyy does equal her son's name. (Not me).

I took an odd call back in '93, I think it was.  The phone rang, I
picked up, they wanted Dan.  He wasn't home.  I asked what it was
about.  The caller at the other end of the line *knew* he was the Dan
Thompson who'd graduated from high school X in year Y.  I had to inform
her that no, he was a different Dan Thompson who'd graduated from high
school Z, but there were several in Austin, and wished her luck on her
search for the one she was trying to track down.

Tentative inquiry goes farther than in-your-face certainty, especially
if the searcher is wrong about the identity of the person they're
contacting.

(I'm part of a branch of a family that was "found" in the past few
years.  Got a call right after a Super Bowl, from my father's second
cousin.  Guy lives in Gonzales.  Never met him yet, but we e-mail a
lot.  I got my favorite cousin in touch with him last year, and she's
very happy about that.)

        Julia